Texas History Museum District
Gonzales is home to the first ever Texas History Museum District. This district has been officially named by the City of Gonzales and the Texas State Legislature. The district designates the public lands between the historic avenues of Saint Lawrence and Saint Louis, reaching from Highway 183 (Water Street) to Highway 90-A, the historic avenues themselves, and the lands adjacent to those avenues.
What you can find
Among the historic avenues and streets inside the Texas History Museum district there are several historic homes and museums.
Gonzales Memorial Museum - The museum, significant in and of itself, houses a large collection of objects, documents and photographs pertaining to Gonzales' role in the shaping of Texas history. It is the heart of the Texas History Museum District. More info.
Old Jail Museum - The jail was built in 1887. The entrance hall was once the sheriff's office. To the left were the kitchen, bath and family living quarters for the sheriff or jailer. All of the ceilings are made of corrugated steel and concrete. The lower floor contains a display case for articles taken from prisoners, information about past sheriff's, deputies and other law enforcement officials who served through the years. The upper floor still contains cells and gallows from the 1800's.
The Eggleston House - This dog-run style cabin was built after the Texas Revolution, about 1845, and is now located on St. Louis Street east of the Gonzales Memorial Museum. Period furniture is on display and a recording can be activated that tells its story.
JB Wells House - This is a historic museum house with 15 rooms and original furnishings. The home is operated by The Gonzales Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and is open for tours. More info.
Pioneer Village Living History Center - The village houses a collection of 1800's and early 1900's era houses from around Gonzales County. Visitors will become easily immersed in pioneer life as a short stroll transitions everyone from modern life, to The Village.